Indie YA Wolves Book Club

Favourite Books

Favourite Books
IndieYAbooks

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Only Human

 
Madartists-Stockfreeimages-Dreamstime Stock photos.

Meet Aecia; looks like a normal, everyday vampire girl doesn't she?
We've seen a lot of them over the years; Buffy, Bella, Katherine, Elena and Caroline. So many more, but Aecia is different. She pretends to be vampire to exist in her world but that kind of disguise can't last a lifetime, or can it?

She lives in a world set in 3012, when evolution has ensured that Vampires rule! Aecia is a lone human child, hidden and camouflaged by her vampire parents, to prevent her from being sent as food to the clone farm.
A lonely, fearful life, built on lies and deceit, and Aecia’s only outlet is her diary, (Amica), who becomes as real to her as a human friend, and is with her when she falls in and out of love. But there is an inevitable truth in Aecia’s past that will explode her life into chaos, and change the status of the Vampire world forever!

Here is part of the first chapter:

CHAPTER ONE

Beginnings 8.02.3012

It is so cold and wet. The darkness is thick, and overwhelming every fibre of my being with fear, as I struggle to remember where I am. I can hear a multitude of disturbing sounds, as I am trying to build up the courage to sit up and take in my surroundings. Where are you Amica? Surely you wouldn’t desert me at a moment like this.
The forest growls a symphony of guttural sounds. There are weird, thin screams, scrabbling, scratching and howling noises; some close by, and others distant, but all instilling me with terror. I have managed to sit up despite my body’s persistence in telling me to lie back down. I know who and what live in this place and my only choice is to keep moving before they find me. At least I think that’s the best thing to do.

Despite the inky black of the night, I think I have a rough idea which direction Fire mountain is. If I can manage to get closer to it, maybe I can enter Disembodied voices’ mind and tell him where I think that I am. I know it’s a long shot, he might not be conscious yet, and I might be wrong about where I am, but I have to try. I feel that you are with me Amica, and I will put my trust in you.
There is a familiar pungent smell around the area in which I am sitting. This time it is not from a glass I am unwillingly pouring down my throat, it is inside me and spilling out onto the flaky forest leaves beneath. The almost metallic, rusty odour of my blood is being absorbed by the hungry forest, and every molecule spilt is like a beacon to the creatures that have injured me. There is not much time left before they will arrive and I don’t want to be the main course for the Sanguis, or any other blood hungry demons that live here. I think that I was hit by three separate arrows but there are way too many predators and enemies here for me to guess who was on the other end of them. They all bite and that is all I need to know.

I’m going to crawl on my stomach as quietly as I can until I get out of the immediate area. That devil of an archer, will have expected me to have landed somewhere around this area. I am beginning to feel lightheaded now; I think my earlier optimism is vastly premature! I can see you, and your frazzled expression is agreeing with me Amica.
As I am inching my way, half of the forest seems to have attached itself to the sticky liquid from my wounds. I feel so heavy, and every centimetre of progress awakens another area of pain. It’s too much; I can’t do it! My mind is beginning to play tricks on me now. Am I in this dark place waiting to die, or am I at home in my pit room? My head is swimming through grey dots and hazy memories. It is the day I first met you friend. I’m so glad you came into my life.

I'll be posting more excerpts as I go until it is published as an Ebook on Amazon Kindle in a few weeks. Hope you like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Gripping Read!!

Dragonman: Face of the UnknownDragonman: Face of the Unknown by Ted Lazaris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an edge of the seat story, which begins smack bang in the middle of an apocalyptic event. The end of the world is a topic which has intrigued mankind since the beginning of time, but in this story it is just the beginning; not the final annihilation of humankind. The foreign object hurtling towards the earth is merely the first sting of a battle that will consume the heavens above and the earth below.
The threat introduces the DragonMan; a superhero already living on our planet, with access to different worlds such as ‘Spellville’; and he is not alone with his incredible abilities, of which more are revealed as the story continues. His family, with which he runs the family business ‘Starr Investigations’, are also endowed with their own fascinating skills, which invite further investigations of their own. Other characters from Spellville include ’Plupee’ and ‘Dooley’ who add a little light comedy in the midst of such dark and dangerous occurrences. Another lead character is Nathan, who has no abilities except for his skill with a pen. Luke and Nathan's lives become intertwined in the midst of the first catastrophe, and when Nathan has a series of personal disasters, he seeks out their firm for help. Thus begins a rollercoaster of explosive tragedies, spectacular fantasy, and murder mystery. The Author leads you through each one in a well written, intriguing and captivating way.

In summary I would advise that you set the scene to read this novel. Get your cocoa, your pyjamas, and go to your private place; switch off the tv and ignore the kids for a while, and step into Ted Lazaris complex and fascinating world of the unusual, the bizarre, and the downright terrifying creatures you are about to meet.


View all my reviews

30 Seconds of The Blood Wars-Crystal Secret!